MAY!!! National Bike Month is officially here! With longer, milder days, May is a perfect time to recognize bicycling for the multitude of benefits it provides – improving our health, economy, and environment.
Here are few ways to get involved, get on two wheels, and celebrate National Bike Month:
1. Go for a type of bike ride that you normally wouldn’t: If you’re a road rider, try a mountain bike ride. If you’ve never ridden your bike to work, give bike commuting a shot. And if the ride to work isn’t something you can tackle this year, ride your bike to run an errand you would normally do by car, even if it’s just a trip to the coffee shop or ice cream parlor. Remember—forty percent of trips Americans take are two miles or less, an easy bicycling distance.
2. Introduce one other person to bicycling. Whether it’s your partner, a coworker, a family member, or just a friend, help someone discover bike riding and go for a ride. Why not encourage someone else to discover the activity that brings freedom and adventure?
3. Participate in one or more National Bike Month events. A list of community rides can be found at the League of American Bicyclists <https://peopleforbikes.org/page/m/67f21f68/3a973d67/24d1492/3af38bd2/4013629917/VEsE/>
Here are some National Events, look at local calendars for events in your area.
- National Bike to School Day (May 9)
- CycloFemme the International Day of Women’s Bicycling (May 13)
- National Bike to Work Week (May 14-18)
- National Bike to Work Day (May 18)
- National Bike Challenge <https://peopleforbikes.org/page/m/67f21f68/3a973d67/24d1492/3af38bde/4013629917/VEsB/> (May 1-August 31)
Look for Optibike during Bike to Work Week, and National Bike to Work Day!